Family members of a citizen of Spanish nationality, of another Member State of the European Union or of another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or Switzerland, who do not have the nationality of one of the aforementioned States and meet the requirements established and detailed below, may apply for the permanent residence card, which is valid for 10 years from the date of issue and is automatically renewed.
Family members of a citizen are defined as
- Their direct descendants.
- Their direct ascendants.
- The members of his or her family who were dependent on him or her in the country of origin.
- To their family members who, for health reasons, have to move to the EU citizen’s residence.
- Unregistered unmarried partners in a stable relationship.
The conditions for granting a permanent residence card to a family member of the EU citizen are as follows:
- Being a member of the family and having resided legally in Spain for a continuous period of five years, as long as the family relationship that gave him/her the right to the initial residence is maintained.
- Have resided in Spain as a family member of a Union citizen who has been an employed or self-employed worker and has acquired the right of permanent residence before the end of the five-year residence period.
- Have maintained the right of residence under the Union citizen regime on a personal basis due to death, annulment, particularly difficult circumstances, proof of the validity of a judicial decision, or mutual agreement between the parties that determines the right of access of the family member, to the minor child, who resides in Spain.
- Residing in Spain as a member of the family of a Union citizen who dies in the course of his/her active life, prior to acquiring the right of permanent residence, and provided that the circumstances mentioned above are met.