If you want us to process your nationality with agility do not hesitate to hire our service, just formalise your contract and forget about the rest, we will take care of the process from start to finish. By processing it with Campussing you will have an answer to your application in record time. Don’t worry and live a smart mobility.
There are five ways of acquiring Spanish nationality, we list the three options for obtaining it:
- Nationality for Spaniards of origin
- Nationality by possession of state.
- Nationality by option.
- Nationality by residence.
- Nationality by letter of nature.
Below you will find more information on each of the processes mentioned in the different tabs of the product sheet.
Nationality for Spaniards of origin
They are Spaniards of origin:
- Those born of a Spanish father or mother.
- Those born in Spain when they are children of foreign parents if at least one of the parents was born in Spain (except children of diplomats).
- Those born in Spain of foreign parents, if both lack nationality (stateless), or if the legislation of neither of them attributes a nationality to the child. In this case, a case may be filed in the Civil Registry of their domicile to declare Spanish nationality with the value of simple presumption.
- Children born in Spain whose parents’ identity is unknown. Minors whose first known place of stay is Spanish territory are presumed to have been born in Spain.
- Children under the age of 18 who are adopted by a Spaniard are also Spanish by origin. If the adoptee is over 18 years of age, he or she may opt for the Spanish nationality of origin within two years from the constitution of the adoption.
Nationality by possession of status
A person who has possessed and used this nationality for ten years, continuously, in good faith (without being aware of the real situation, i.e. that he/she is not actually Spanish), on the basis of a title registered in the Civil Registry, will be entitled to Spanish nationality. Spanish nationality will not be lost even if the title registered in the Civil Registry is annulled. The interested party must have maintained an active attitude in the possession and use of Spanish nationality, which means that he/she must have behaved as a Spaniard, both in the enjoyment of his/her rights and in the fulfilment of his/her duties in relation to Spanish State bodies.
The option is a benefit that Spanish law offers to foreigners who meet certain conditions to acquire Spanish nationality. They will have the right to acquire Spanish nationality in this way:
- Those persons who are or have been subject to the parental authority of a Spaniard. This possibility expires when the person concerned reaches the age of 20, unless by personal law the person concerned does not reach the age of majority at the age of 18, in which case the period will be two years from the time he or she reaches the age of majority.
- Those persons whose father or mother was Spanish and was born in Spain.
- Those whose parentage determination (parentage determination means establishing who a person’s parents are) or birth in Spain occurs after the age of eighteen. In this case, the period to opt for nationality is two years after the parentage or birth is determined.
Those whose adoption by Spaniards occurs after the age of eighteen. In this case, the right to opt exists until the period of two years has elapsed from the establishment of the adoption.
Nationality by residence
This form of acquiring nationality requires the person to have resided in Spain for ten years legally, continuously and immediately prior to the application. There are cases in which the required period of residence is reduced; these are:
- Five years: for the granting of Spanish nationality to those who have obtained refugee status.
Two years: for nationals of Latin American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal or persons of Sephardic origin.
- One year:
- Whoever was born in Spanish territory.
- Those who did not duly exercise their right to acquire Spanish nationality by option.
- The one who has been legally subject to the guardianship (under the supervision of a guardian), guardianship or foster care (the foster care that allows the reduction of legal residence to one year is that in which there is a resolution of the public entity that has in each territory entrusted with the protection of minors and the foster care that is judicially recognised) of a Spanish citizen or institution for two consecutive years, even if he/she continues in this situation at the time of the application.
- Who, at the time of application, has been married to a Spanish national or institution for one year and is not legally or de facto separated.
- The widow or widower of a Spaniard, if at the time of the spouse’s death they were not legally or de facto separated.
- The person born outside Spain of a father or mother (also born outside Spain), grandfather or grandmother, provided that all of them were born outside Spain.
Nationality by letter of nationality
This form of acquisition of nationality is ex gratia in nature and is not subject to the general rules of administrative procedure. It may or may not be granted at the discretion of the Government by Royal Decree, after assessing the existence of exceptional circumstances.
Once you contract this service and your order is formalized, your Campussing assistant will contact you to guide you with any questions you may have regarding the documentation to be submitted, as well as to inform you of the whole process and ask you for the documents we will need for the correct execution of the service.
Don’t worry, we will prepare and complete all the documents, forms and applications that need to be submitted to complete the process correctly. In addition, we will take care of requesting and coordinating the necessary appointments with the administration, trying whenever possible, to make an appointment on a day and time that suits you. We take care of everything!